Things to Avoid When Implementing SEO Techniques
March 25, 2019
March 25, 2019
A lot is written about the benefits of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) , however, there are also a number of SEO techniques that should be avoided in order to maximize the potential of a campaign.
Here are the top 10 techniques worth avoiding:
1. The duplication of pages – They offer no benefit in improving rankings on search engines as big names like Google, Bing and Yahoo will completely ignore them and in some instances they may even look to ban the site that is using them.
2. Using 'Invisible Text' – Invisible text references to text that is the same color as the background of the page that it is on. Moderators have quickly identified this technique and have sent to eradicate the problem by labeling it as spam.
3. Using keywords in comment tags – The major search engines tend not to acknowledge comment tags or even bother to index them. Therefore, it's a pointless and time wasting exercise to add them for SEO purposes.
4. Do not use keywords in hidden value tags – The placement of keywords in hidden value tags are viewed as spam by the major of major search engines. Once again it is a technique that does not warrant the time or effort.
5. Do not use keywords in style tags – Almost no search engine will acknowledge the content of style tags, so applying them for SEO purposes is a complete waste of time.
6. Avoid the use of link exchange programs and links farms – The majority of moderators view link farms and link exchange programs as spam, as they serve just one purpose, which is to over emphasize the popularity of a website link, by trading links between participants of specially designed schemes.
It is worth noting that link farms and link exchange techniques should not be associated with reciprocal linking. Reciprocal linking is a much more 'legitimate technique' that sees the exchange of links between individual sites on a mutually beneficial basis.
7. Do not use link only pages – The majority of major search engines will not recognize link only pages. Therefore, it is always recommended to add text descriptions to link pages in order to use them for SEO purposes. This should also be the case for pages such as site maps.
8. Avoid meta refresh tags – As a general rule, moderators consider meta refresh tags, set under 30 seconds, to be spam. To combat the problem of this technique, Search Engine specialists have returned to using Java Script redirects.
9. Try to avoid tiny text – Whilst the majority of search engines will permit some use of tiny text, if it is used excessively search engines will disregard articles and webpages. The reason why search engines are against tiny text is that they view it as an attempt to stuff articles and webpages with keywords.
10. Do not use cloaking techniques – Cloaking is considered an extremely controversial technique, as it serves SEO pages to search engine spiders, while feeding un-optimized pages to website visitors. All search engine facilities consider cloaking to be a form of spam, however, those that do it have yielded great success from doing so, but it is frowned upon.
Although the techniques above are considered controversial, they can still be used. What's not accepted by some may well be fine with others. The fact remains that there is no right or wrong way to conduct SEO campaigns, you just have to be prepared to expect some criticism for some types of techniques that are used.